ALLEGHENY COUNTY LITERACY COUNCIL ;INC. / CHRISTIAN LITERACY ASSOC.
ALLEGHENY VALLEY ASSOCIATION OF CHURCHES, INC.
ANCHORPOINT COUNSELING MINISTRY
EAST END COOPERATIVE MINISTRY
EAST LIBERTY FAMILY HEALTH CARE CENTER
HOSANNA INDUSTRIES, INC.
MARS HOME FOR YOUTH
NORTH HILLS COMMUNITY OUTREACH, INC.
NORTHSIDE COMMON MINISTRIES
OFF THE FLOOR PITTSBURGH
THE OPEN DOOR
OPEN HAND MINISTRIES
THE ORR COMPASSIONATE CARE CENTER
PITTSBURGH PASTORAL INSTITUTE
PGH REGION INTERNATIONAL STUDENT MINISTRIES, INC.
SAMARITAN COUNSELING CENTER
SCHENLEY HEIGHTS COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
SOUTH HILLS INTERFAITH MOVEMENT
VENTURES IN PEOPLE INC.
WILKINSBURG COMMUNITY MINISTRIES
Open Hand Ministries
C/O Valley View Presbyterian Church
601 North Aiken Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
The Mission of Open Hand is to respond to the social injustice and inequalities that plague the economically challenged inner city Pittsburgh neighborhoods of Garfield and East Liberty.
Open Hand Ministries, Inc. partners/works with urban and suburban churches, Community Development Corporations, community lending agencies, expert trade-skill professionals, funding organizations, and other local support agencies in order to provide:
Sustainable and affordable homeownership opportunities to disadvantaged households in the Garfield and East Liberty neighborhoods:
Ongoing care for our client families
- Work with local families through credit counseling/repair, financial management, household budget training, and mortgage pre-qualification
- Rehabilitate vacant/abandoned properties within targeted areas of Garfield and East Liberty, transforming them into safe, sound, and energy efficient homes for client families to purchase as first time homeowners at affordable mortgages
Care for our communities
- Assign a church sponsor for each OHM client family from one of the 3 Member churches
- Form a care team to accompany each client family through and beyond the homeownership process
- Remain in “covenant” relationship with our client families, working with them in the development of skills related to homeownership and life
- Assist client family neighbors with household related repairs and/or maintenance
- Clean out and/or secure vacant properties within the targeted areas in which we work
- Partner with Garfield Community Farms as they transform vacant lots in Garfield into green space and make fresh, local, and affordable produce available to members of the community.
In 2007 4 East End Churches partnered with Hosanna Industries, Inc. to rehabilitate 5 properties and assist 5 low income families in becoming first time homeowners of these properties. Michael Stanton along with leaders from East Liberty Presbyterian Church, Valley View Presbyterian Church, and Open Door Presbyterian Church recognized the importance of continuing this commitment to the neighborhood. In October of 2007, under the leadership of Michael, the work of the East End Blitz continued on as Open Hand Ministries. Since 2007 Open Hand has:
- Been involved in the comprehensive rehabilitation of 8 abandoned/vacant properties in the neighborhoods of Garfield and East Liberty
- Assisted 8 low/moderate income families in becoming first time homeowners
- Provided ongoing care to all of Open Hand’s client families
- Hosted hundreds of volunteers of all skill levels, involving them in “volunteer friendly” construction related activities, as well as in other activities related to the ongoing care of our client families.
Michael Stanton (Executive Director)
OPPORTUNITIES FOR CONGREGATIONAL OR INDIVIDUAL INVOLVEMENT
INFORMATIONAL PROGRAMS AVAILABLE
VISIT US ON THE WEB
A representative from Open Hand Ministries is available to speak with interested individuals, businesses, church committees, Sunday school classes, etc. An OHM representative is also available to speak during Sunday church services, in either a “minute for mission” or preaching capacity. Additional information is available, upon request.