ALLEGHENY COUNTY LITERACY COUNCIL ;INC. / CHRISTIAN LITERACY ASSOC.
ALLEGHENY VALLEY ASSOCIATION OF CHURCHES, INC.
ANCHORPOINT COUNSELING MINISTRY
EAST END COOPERATIVE MINISTRY
EAST LIBERTY FAMILY HEALTH CARE CENTER
HOSANNA INDUSTRIES, INC.
MARS HOME FOR YOUTH
NORTH HILLS COMMUNITY OUTREACH, INC.
NORTHSIDE COMMON MINISTRIES
OFF THE FLOOR PITTSBURGH
THE OPEN DOOR
OPEN HAND MINISTRIES
THE ORR COMPASSIONATE CARE CENTER
PITTSBURGH PASTORAL INSTITUTE
PGH REGION INTERNATIONAL STUDENT MINISTRIES, INC.
SAMARITAN COUNSELING CENTER
SCHENLEY HEIGHTS COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
SOUTH HILLS INTERFAITH MOVEMENT
VENTURES IN PEOPLE INC.
WILKINSBURG COMMUNITY MINISTRIES
Neighborhood AcademyUNITED WAY #221578
Our students come from a total of 20 neighborhoods throughout Allegheny County. Statistics on our student body from the 2006-2007 school year include the following:
The Neighborhood Academy began in 1993 as an innovative summer school program for at-risk youth. Drawing upon her work with the Larimer Avenue Youth Club, a youth ministry that met urban youth in their own neighborhoods, founder Josephine Moore together with Reverend Thomas Johnson, designed The Neighborhood Academy Summer School - an intensive five-week skill-building program for seventh through eleventh graders. In response to the success of the summer school, The Neighborhood Academy opened its doors as a full year day school to its first class of eighth and ninth graders on September 12, 2001. To date we have graduated 32 students and have a 100% college acceptance rate!
Our graduates attend the following schools:
Baldwin Wallace College
Community College of Allegheny College
Indiana University of PA
Oral Roberts University
Lock Haven University
Penn State University
Seton Hill University
Slippery Rock University
University of Pittsburgh
West Virginia University
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Donate Group TIME
- Arrange an individual or group tour of the school
- Arrange a speaking engagement for our school representatives to speak to groups within your congregation
- Send a group of volunteers to answer phones, mailings, or other administrative tasks
- Make dinner, dessert or lunch. (We provide three meals a day for our students.) Click here for more information.
Donate Individual TALENTS
- Lead a morning worship service
- Proctor evening study hall from 5:30-7:00 p.m.
- Provide one-on-one tutoring to students
- Lead a workshop or class around a specific skill, special interest or hobby
- Help to coach an athletic team; i.e., golf, basketball, volleyball, cross country
Donate Church RESOURCES
- Provide a student scholarship ($20,000 per year)
- Let us know about your grant making opportunities
- Direct the proceeds from a luncheon or other event to the school
- Conduct a school supply drive
- Conduct a school uniform clothing drive
- Donate an item from our Wish List
- Collect a special offering for the school
- Arrange for our Head of School, Rev. Tom Johnson, to lead or participate in a worship service
VISIT US ON THE WEB